Thursday, June 19, 2008

Old "old" is the new "New"

The "New Americans"

Refers to people trying to live within their means.
Cutting back on travel, food, entertainment. Learning what it means to budget and make cuts. I feel a little guilty. In the past 2 months I have spent (superfluously) more than I made annually in 1992. But then again, until recently, I was the new american. I made my clothes, lived on food from Aldi's, counted my money before gassing up the car, didn't have cable, often didn't have a tv.
We just called it poor.
I guess I didn't realize how hard things had gotten. Or how easy things had become. Meat at every meal, not pricing different brands, ordering in, picking up tabs. Buying books, clothes, craft supplies. Taking trips, planning vacations, eyeing home electronics, things no one really needs
I'll probably go back to the "New American" lifestyle. Now that it has been brought to my attention.
But it was nice to live the way the "old america" lived for a while.

1 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

finally another posting on this awesome blog...been waiting impatiently for the next installment.

for someone who can definitely relate to living in the 'poor' category, I hear ya. I seem to be 'old america' stuck in a 'new america' body...or is it vice versa?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home