Friday, February 03, 2006

Train of thought

Having gotten rid of my car 2 years ago, and trying to maintain my independence cred, I take the train to visit my family.
R often offers to let me borrow the car if I can't con him into going. But it's his new baby, and (don't tell him) but I don't really like to drive. Oh sure those sunny days with the wind and the sun roof and road and nature and stuff, the road trip is alright, but its wet and cold and I HATE driving at night.
It's my da's birthday and since I couldn't convince R of the GREAT time it would be, I booked the trip
"All aboard America All aboard Amtrak"
What struck me as odd was the food service on the trains. I have yet to be disappointed by a dining car. The actually have good food. You may not believe me, but it's true. But here I am, taking the evening train (a 5 to 9 trip) and there is no dining car, just a snack car. Though I look forward to the massive amounts of Jack and ginger I can consume while reading (another reason not to drive) I am a bit puzzled by the lack of dinner. Especially since the return trip (a mid-day train) has a dining car. Now See that's not fair. I am a bigger fan of dinner than lunch.
I suppose I may as well cook an egg with a couple cell phones cause the snack car is just not the same as the linen clothed tables; with real silverware, plates and wine glasses in the dining car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home