Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Holiday controversy

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

I find myself saying both. Mostly it depends on if I expect to see/speak to the person again before the New Year. This year has made it very hard on me. I feel badly saying Happy Holidays like I'm taking sides. I expect some republican or bible thumper to jump out of the bushes and say "Ooohhh she just took Christ out of Christmas"
And, just so, I also feel badly about saying Merry Christmas.

In a world where we have been beaten into submission of political correctness and cultural awareness this was the only thing that I didn't have to worry about. Merry Christmas and Happy holidays were never a touchy subject. My old Hindu boss bought Christmas gifts and we wished each other a Merry Christmas. Now suddenly I can't even wish someone to have a pleasant day on the 25th of December or when ever your chosen holiday may be and a Happy New Year (wheew, at least I can still say that). Now every time I end a meeting or conversation I hesitate. What do I say? Will I offend someone? Will they think I am taking sides? How could they not? Apparently this is the biggest controversy since rappers started using the "N" word (although I think is now okay for me to type (but not say) nigguh, nigga or niggah).
This controversy is the IN thing. Forget Presidential wire tapping, forget the national debt-taxes-budget, forget the soldiers dying, forget intelligent design, forget the NYC transit strike, forget Saddam Hussein's trial, forget anything about anything that might have mattered and realize THIS debate is THE thing on everyone’s minds.
So there we two stand like Dr. Seuss South and North-Going Zax neither budging, waiting for the other to make the first move.
“So, are you taking any time off?”
“Sure”
“Got all your shopping done?”
“No, you”
“Yeah, but I have to travel to see my family”
“Right. Sure, sure”
“Well, have a…..Good weekend”
“Yeah, um…Drive safe”

5 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger djn said...

The thing that bothers me is that, in the US anyways, roughly 90% of us celebrate Christmas. Why is it that the very small percentage that celebrates other holidays can't budge a little this time of year? Why is this "celebrating diversity" thing one-sided? I feel like we are forced to recognize other people's customs and traditions while ours gets placed on the back burner. Anyhow, maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but that's how it feels to me. I don't really think it's a controversy -- at least not in the stores I shopped this year.

Hey -- great blog. I enjoyed it a lot.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Johnny Menace said...

its in the forgotton amendment you must say merry christmas

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just say it, who cares if you offend people after all people are meant to be tolerent with each other regardless of what religion people believe in

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Stormieweather said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Stormieweather said...

Oops, that was my deleted comment.

I was just thinking about this very same thing! I think djn (above)stated it pretty well -so did you Perdita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home