Monday, November 28, 2005

Expanding family means expanding waistline

How many Thanksgiving dinners did you eat?
I am not talking leftovers.
I had 4. First there is the farmer’s table. Lots of family and lots of food. Every one brings a dish. Usually a side and the host for the year will make the main dish. Being the city girl that I have become, and living over 3 hours away, I show up with a fruit plate and (frozen) pre-made fancy hors d'oeuvre. Tiny quiche Lor·raines and filo dough wrapped brie almond and raspberry. Fortunately that went over well with the *homemade: potatoes, stuffing, turkey, corn casserole, green bean casserole, roles, salads, and amazing amounts of pies and desserts. They were sweet about it and didn’t mock me for the packaged food saying “we saw her put them onto the pan and put them in the oven” not once implying that I didn’t make them.

Then another 2 hour drive for R’s family. Since his parents are divorced that means 2 more dinners (fortunately only one of them was directly after the Farmers dinner). The next days dinner I had the good fortune of having Turducken. Turkey-duck-chicken-stuffed with crawfish served with a cream Tabasco-esque sauce. The next night was dinner at my parent’s house.
After all this food you’d think I’d explode or fast this week.
Instead I just had a craving for more fatty food.

* by homemade I mean made from scratch. I don’t believe these people know there are packaged foods. I didn’t either till I started baby-sitting. The first time I was told to make Mac-n-Cheese I asked where the cheese was. It took me 20 min to figure out how to make Mac-n-Cheese from a box.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home