Monday, March 19, 2007

If it’s drowning you’re after, don’t torment yourself with shallow water.

Mere words do not feed the friars, so I cooked.

Every year I want corned beef and Irish whiskey but we fear the amateur Irish out on the town.
I think this was my first corned beef cooked strictly by myself. We invited something friends over for dinner and games. Jameson, Guinness, potatoes, parsley, horseradish, carrots, cabbage & 2 corned beef (since I was unsure of how many would show up) but only made one after giving myself a fantastic scalding within the 1st hour.
I seem to be scald prone. I'm okay with fire and ovens and knives but hot water appears to be my downfall.
First the Pho soup (requiring a boiling liquid to be served) and now a splash from pushing down a large beef in a nearly too small pot. I (reverting to my child hood for the first few seconds EVERY time I'm injured) jumped up and down doing a little "I'm hurt" dance and then proceeded to *strip. I got the socks and pants off in time but the long-sleeved thermal shirt I was wearing held the heat on my arm. So there I am, standing in the kitchen in my underwear running water over my arm, calling to R.
Do we have any burn ointment
At this point in out relationship he knows I am not making a random inquiry or shopping list.
He comes pattering in with a bunch of first aid supplies. Wha'dya do?
The first question usually asked and technically the dumbest, uh, burned myself but we all know the question is really HOW are you so stoopid?

So I cooled and chilled (and checked the rest of me for injury) and then had R make me a Jameson on the rocks. It may only be 10:00am but I need pain reliever and as my father later pointed out, Dublin had a head start and there was catchen up I'd be needen to do.

Everything turned out great anyway.
I had no complaints and no leftovers.

Good thing I got that other beef!


*Some day I will have a dinner party, splash myself with boiling water and either be the best hostess ever. Oooh, honey. Look an invitation to dinner at Perdita’s. I do so hope she’s making soup!
Or I maybe the most embarrassed coworker/in-law/spouse ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home