Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Thunderous Falls

Summer I hardley even knew you. The heavy storms that pre curse fall have already begun. So, soon summer will be gone. I don't actually know what happened to it. I went to Door County. I spent some time in New York and in D-town, but watching the storms roll in reminds me how soon it will be gone. That is one of the reasons I miss gardening. Thats how backwards I am. I keep track of time by the seasons in nature. When to plant, harvest and cut back are huge seasonal markers. Here in the city I have lost that marker of time. Sometimes I wonder if this is how a potted plant brought indoors feels.

Everything runs together for me here. I'm just not use to it perhaps. You might mark the seasons with street feasts or vacation time or the latest band release (tour) or the influx of tourists (I'm getting better about recognizing that season) but I just haven't caught on yet. It's all marking time on the vine (as it weren't). I do the same things every day. Nothing changes but my wardrobe. I still have not figured out how where the time goes. But I am simple, of simple folk. I watch the weather. I smell the change in seasons. I observe the subtle changes from behind the pain of my window. Domesticated and transplanted.

1 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

scary how fast time flies, isn't it? i lament the end of summer each year. i do appreciate the other seasons as well, but summer to me is very special. every cold moment of the year, i say that THIS time around when summer arrives, i will treasure it and savior every moment, yet when it is here, it is so easily taken for granted and pushed out of consciousness with its hot, humid, stickiness, and it is not until it's leaving or already left that it is sorely missed. thank you for alerting me to its pending departure. i will try to savior it better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home