Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Honky

R and I rollerblading. I'm really going along cause there is a Mexican place near by that smells of grilled meat. He's still kinda new at the blading thing. He was sweet enough to buy a pair last spring when I kept trying to get him to go with me. So we are very careful as we make our way the (eternity which is only) 11 blocks. We take this side street that is a short cut away from some traffic. Today, not so much so and we wait out turn as we will have to be in the street for at least half of the way since there is no sidewalk. We duck into open parallel parking places to let cars pass. A slow moving moving-van is coming so I head off not the next open slot, slow moving R is right behind me. The van Honks at him. As if there were somewhere other that where he was already headed to that he could go. He speeds up and swings in beside me and I begin to rant about the rudeness and how they were in such a hurry to stop, as they get out not 3 yards from where we had parked so they could pass.
Me: Oh, brilliant! Yes I can see why you couldn't wait.
R: hush
Me: louder Well that was rude.
Car honks because the truck has blocked the st. and a line of cars has begun to collect at either end of the street.
Fat impatient driver who honked because the rollerbladers were in his way shouts "Christ! Relax. Wull Gim'me a min here"
Me: having skated past I slow and turn back No WAY! It's okay for YOU to honk at a rollerblader but when you ACTUALLY block the street no one is allowed to honk at you?!

It's confrontations like this that reinforce it when R says
I use to think it would be something I said that would get me killed, now I think chances are better it will be something you said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home