Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Oh, did I forget Fathers day?

A man who was told by his doctor that he was suffering from acute alcoholism. The man said, "Doc, I can't tell my wife I am suffering from alcoholism. Isn't there one of those big medical terms that I can give her?" The doctor said, "As far as I'm concerned, there is no other term for it but alcoholism."

As the man left the doctor's office he passed a music store and in the window his eye caught the word "syncopation". That word seemed to strike a responsive chord somewhere. When he got home he told his wife the doctor had said he was suffering from acute syncopation.

That was all right until she looked up the word in the dictionary and read: "Syncopation - an irregular and erratic movement from bar to bar".


My mom sent me that little gem yesterday. As is a tradition these days, when my father and I get together we practice Syncopation. Mother questions more and more often these days, but that is quite possibly because we drink more and more. My sister is right in there with us (for the most part) and between the 3 of us...Well 3 average people can lap up quite a bit add in any little stressor like, oh, I don't know, family and liquor runs WILL become necessary. This was just a weekend though. It wasn't some extended weekend or holiday or anything. There was no need to come pre-stocked, it seemed unnecessary for me to have my flask on me, it probably would have seemed like over kill if I stopped for a drink before I got there. After all it's just 2 days, and I got into town before noon. Dad was sleeping when I got in. Mom said he had eaten breakfast and gone back to bed. She had all these errands she wanted done and in our family we must ALL go out on the errand runs (it's an event!). So I said Let's not wake him up. That would just be rude. Hi dad I'm here, now I'm leaving...Happy Fathers day. So we take stuff to people and get stuff, and take the dogs for a walk, and go shopping for clothes (I HATE shopping) and get most everything done by 6pm. SIX PM?!?! All that in only six hours. WOW! And guess what. Daddy was up when we got back. Imagine that.
We went out for an early dinner at a place with no liquor license (how barbaric!). So I suggested we go out for a drink after. The sibling wanted to just pick something up. But the house is 2 blocks from a great bar, and the walk will be good for us. So I won and kissing my mom on her short little forehead told her we were just going out for 2. Knob Creek on the rocks, that's all it takes. But this bar also sells package. This place is the original package place. It's a drive through. Always has been always will be. So we get some Dewers to take home. Long story short? Monopoly, a movie, 1/2 the dewers, bed after 3am, up before 7, and I wasn't hung over...yet. I was drunk. Happy fathers day! Now get out there and get your chores done and sweat it out in the sun. Errands were done yesterday. Gardening, yardwork, and other general manual labor had been saved for today. Course dad didn't have to do any chores so I don't know if he was feeling any effects and sister was oddly absent. I guess these chores were all mine. Dehydrated: Check. Tired: Check. Headache: Check. Yup there's the hangover.
I didn't forget to celebrate fathers day, I just forgot to mention it.
Happy fathers day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home