Thursday, August 18, 2005

Living in Sin

shackingfree
And the times they are a chang'en
For the first time ever I am among a majority. I am one of Fifty-five percent, or 57.7 million of the 105 million U.S. households*
For the first time, single adults outnumber couples with children.
Yup. It's true and we are spreading our agenda like germ warfare. Living in sin, not breeding, and spending our disposable income like we are gay!
We see mothers and fathers propagating the species with their little attempts at immortality and think: being able to go out at a moments notice, stay out late (because there is no baby sitter to be considered), take a spontaneous trip, buy that ridiculous gadget we don't really need, leave the breakables anywhere we please AND keep the bar fully stocked and unlocked (for our WHOLE lives), well it's not a bad way to live.
I believe you (they, whom ever is fighting about it at the moment) should protect the institution of marriage. I wish the same sex partners had gone after couples rights. For Me if no one else. There are clergy who are willing to go to jail for [same sex partners] rights to marry but nobody is fighting for my right NOT to get married. I just wanna shack up for the rest of my life with all the same perquisites. If I could prove it was a religious thing you’d have to honor my right. But I can’t and its not its one of those “lifestyle choices” that get everybody and their preacher up in arms.
Doesn’t waking up everyday and choosing to stay with someone mean anything anymore? Why should I have to have a piece of paper? As proof? As a deterrent? Yeah, so binding that the divorce rate steadily increases. We use to have such a thing as common law. Now this state doesn't even have that. Why cant a couple have the insurance and the privileges, and the debt and the whole 9 yards?**

So if the crispies have it their way the homosexuals, elderly, infertile and, well, people like me CANT marry because we wont produce offspring.

And if the Gay (marriage) rights have it their way I HAVE to get married.

Just when they were making such progress for me.

Well I'm part of a majority now buddy so mark my words, somethings gonna give.

* oh, and by the way that # for people with children includes married AND unmarried couples with children making up 31.3% of households

** and before you say it. There is not now, nor has there ever been, a Palimony law in this state. And legal minds are of the opinion there is “... no indication of any forthcoming legislation in this area.”

3 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger d.K. said...

Some states do have domestic partner arrangements that don't require marriage but give you insurance and some other perks that married people have (so does D.C.)

If the gay marriage people have their way, how does that require you to get married? I missed your point there.

Otherwise, I enjoyed your post. It's nice to be part of a majority, isn't it? All that stuff about the judiciary existing to protect the rights of the minority isn't all it's cracked up to be. :)

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Johnny Menace said...

did know you owned the shackin book

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Perdita said...

d.k.
Yeah, some states are good about domestic partnerships, but trying to get someone to move there is another thing.
which brings me to the "I'd have to get married" bit. Since no one in this state seems too terribly interested in domestic partner's rights anymore, the only way to have those rights will be marriage.

Johnny
Of course I'm a modern woman :)

Girlbomb
"...We LIKE living like two single people who come together for the joy of it” Totally!!!
ps I own a now tattered copy of Verses that Hurt. I'm honored you would even be caught reading the common bloggers (aka me) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home