Thursday, March 16, 2006

Call me Marlene

SHANGHAI2

At every job I get stuck recording the intro for voice mail. Not just mine, but everyone's. That has lead to being recruited to do it for other companies too. I imagine the conversation went something like this. "Hey who does your phone service? I like the voice." And so I'd get another job.

My friends laugh when the call me at work. They love to mock my phone voice (and I can't really blame them). Come on we all have them. A little slower, a little higher or lower, a little subconsciously different. Perhaps it a professional thing. Perhaps it happens over time because as we answer the phone, in the silence we can hear our own voices. Whatever the reason, I have a phone voice. It's even measured and a little lower then I usually talk.

This week I have a cold.
If you can get past the Rudolph nose and the phlegmy cough, Oooo I'm sultry . Not that it matters over the phone. As long as I can keep the conversation under 5 min. they'll (most likely) never have to hear me cough. I'm breathy but in a heady way and low but velvety not gravely.

My bosses have suggested we set up a one-nine-hundred line.
I'm just glad my friends haven't called me.

3 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger furyouhin said...

this simply demands that you follow up with an audio blog post. you must. you must!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Perdita said...

Unfortunately I wouldn't even know how

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Stormieweather said...

I use to work with a woman who had a very sultry phone voice. When customers called they always asked for her just so they could listen to her voice. I have a nasel voice and I recorded my works intro to voice mail as you did, I'm surprised my company has any customers at all after listening to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home