Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Nicest Dentist Ever

It's a lot easier to say that before they stick their hands and implements of destruction in your mouth.

My regularly scheduled dentist (of a whole twice) called me to remind me of an appointment on Wednesday. I told them I would not be keeping the appointment and probably not seeing them anymore.
With the added debt of a home and a wedding I have become more frugal. Deciding that my convenience is worth less and less. So I changed dentists. I had been seeing someone outside my "insurance network" because they were close to work. But those $115 cleanings are a thing of the past. Who can afford what the insurance doesn’t cover on that?

I located one in my new neighborhood and called them up.
They were taking new patients and I explained why I was switching dentists. And wanted to know how much he charged for a cleaning. He informed me (depending on the dirty teeth) 40-80 and that if I was in network, I didn’t HAVE to pay the extra the dentist charged if it was over what was covered. Who knew? My co-worker didn’t and had been paying the bills the dentist sent. What a scam!
The man on the phone went on to say he wasn’t sure if it was him or his brother who was in my “group” since he used to be but was more into cosmetic dentistry now…. Hold up. You answer your own phone? He scheduled me with his brother for Thursday.

As my co-worker and I discussed how fortunate I was to have called and found such a forthright dentist my cell rang, it was the brother dentist I just spoke to. It turns out his brother is not in my “network”. How could that be? I went on line and looked it up on my insurers website. But did I want to come in anyway? They wouldn’t charge me. “Uh, huh?” He would make sure that the cleaning cost under what the insurance would pay.

As I said, nicest dentist ever, or best con-job ever

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home