Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Drive-by Blogging

At some point on a weekend morning I will usually be found sitting on the couch (surrounded by remotes for TiVo, the TV, the receiver thingy for the volume and cats) channel chasing. Sure I could use the guide or watch things TiVo has already found for me but I want an old movie or a western. Mostly I end up settling for flipping back and forth between weekend morning grade movies. I've seen about half of every bad morning movie ever. But I get them confused or smoosh them together like Mars Attacks - Back to the Future III, The History of Ancient Egypt with *Brendan Fraser, or think Scary Movie is the same as Scream (both were about as frightening).
*Much to my relief I found out he did actually host a history show about Egypt and my mind has not deteriorated that much.

This propensity is not just TV though. I have done it with books too. But usually that's a reference thing. Like looking up another book mentioned in a book or a historical fact. The point is its happening with blogs now. I can't help it. When I have down time at work I have DOWN TIME. First it was the next blog button, then it was when I found a blog I liked (especially if they hadn't posted since I checked 5 seconds ago) I'd go through all their links. Then I started going through all the links of people posting. This was the point when I realized I may have a problem. I had been in the shadows, and unknown voyeur, a cyber peeping Tom. It was confirmed I had a problem when I actually started doing drive by comments. Now, having revealed myself, I began to see lots of comments from people I had seen comment before. They were everywhere. It was as if the Internet is actually smaller than we thought. Commenters overlapping on completely unrelated blogs. That's when the paranoia sets in. Is it proof of the Monolithic Collapse Theory? Where is all the *Dark Energy of the internet? Is the universe collapsing in on itself? If the internet is as vast as we think it is what's with the 3 degrees of separation? And how come I haven't run into Kevin Bacon yet?
I guess people are right after all when they use the term "Internet Community". I just always thought it was bigger.

Well if you're here now, I'm sure I'll see you around later.

* No, not Dark Energy like the "Dark Side of the Force Luke" more like the rapidly accelerating Dark Energy in the universe that will cause all galaxies to run away from each other until they are no longer visible, and our own Milky Way will become an isolated island adrift in a sea of totally black space

FYI
Patsy Kensit was in The Adventures of Pollyanna with John Randolph
John Randolph was in You've Got Mail with Meg Ryan
Meg Ryan was in In the Cut with Kevin Bacon
and I've watched them all at the same time on a Saturday


Bye Neighbor

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Johnny Menace said...

The things i would do with Tivo..... Mars Attack like back to the future III? How? and 2nd how is Mars Attack a bad movie? It is a great movie to rewatch.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Perdita said...

Not Mars Attack being LIKE back to the future III. Flip back and forth between them and suddenly the good ‘ol professor has sent Michael J. Fox into a very unhappy future.

And your right, I did enjoy Mars Attacks

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Johnny Menace said...

Ok.. flipping back. Thank god. I thought your brain turned into mash potatoes.

Another ? wouldn't you not want to run into Kevin Bacon? That would defeat the whole game of 6 degrees, because well... shit you would always have to start ... ran into Kevin Bacon at Hard Rock Cafe and that would be it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home