Monday, September 26, 2005

Starts with a phone booth, ends with a bang, and somewhere in the middle there is a shoe phone



Dun’da-daaaaa Da
Dun’da-daaaaa Na
Dun’da-danala danala danala danala danala danala danala Dun'Da'dun

Cone of silence, shoe phone, Come on! How can this not be ringing any bells?

'Get Smart'
Don Adams, the wry-voiced comedian who starred as the fumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in the 1960s television spoof of James Bond movies, "Get Smart," has died.

Max the inept Agent 86 of the super-secret federal agency Control, Adams captured TV viewers with his antics in combating the evil agents of Kaos. When his explanations failed to convince the villains or his boss, he tried another tack: "Would you believe … ?"

Adams, who had been under contract to NBC, was lukewarm about doing a spy spoof. When he learned that Mel Brooks and Buck Henry had written the pilot script, he accepted immediately. and WHO wouldn't?
"It was a special show that became a cult classic of sorts, and I made a lot of money for it," he remarked of "Get Smart" in a 1995 interview. "But it also hindered me career-wise because I was typed. The character was so strong, particularly because of that distinctive voice, that nobody could picture me in any other type of role."
I’m sorry Max, uh, I mean Don. But I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually meant to pen a quick bit about this back when it was news, but like most things in life, I never got around to it. Used to love watching Get Smart reruns, and hopefully they'll come back to us via DVD soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home