Thursday, October 27, 2005

Solemnization of Matrimony II

Or What I told my parole officer when he asked why I was in Wisconsin

Is not marriage an open question, when it is alleged, from the beginning of the world, that such as are in the institution wish to get out, and such as are out wish to get in?
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Another Wedding
A second Marriage
The white dress a little less fluffy.
The venue a little more adult.

The reception was (as all receptions are) a good time even if it was in Wisconsin. The scenery was spectacular. The rolling hills and changing colors lead us on to a tiny little town. I love tiny little towns, with their music playing over speakers in the downtown. It just so...yester-year. Unfortunately, I come across as mocking even when I'm not. Really, Eau Claire, I dig you. I'm not mocking you...Well maybe a little later.
In our defense: R considers anything too far north off of I-80 to be the “Great White North” and I am just completely insensitive. But I'm one of you. Look I have pictures of cows.
COWS!!!!

R and I were new to this whole aggressive advertising Wisconsin has for CHEESE. It is worse than all those signs you see, especially in the south, for FIREWORKS! R and I had almost convinced ourselves that we needed to find a currency exchange when we pulled off the highway to go a gas station, which you are supposed to identify by the large cheese sign I guess, and there it was a sign that said Master Card, Visa, American Express, no personal cheques, CHEESE.
But then there is always the question of how much you think you’ll spend because what are you gonna do with a foreign currency when you get back home. I mean a little is cool. A reminder of when you were in Europe, the Netherlands or the British West Indies. But Cheese is not gonna wear so well. They also had the "Incase of emergency" numbers posted facing the outside on a window.
Fire 911
Ambulance 911
Police 911
Wheew, thank the lord they posted those. I might forget.
Did I mention it was rustic?

So on to the reception.
The first time she was married it was in Disney World to her college sweetheart. He was cute and funny. But in the end their paths wandered their own directions. Waking up one day and realizing that you should be somewhere else is a peculiar feeling. And all it takes to move sometimes is a little nudge from someone else. Someone who stirs that ol' lust nugget within.
Her second wedding was held in Vegas. This time the groom was a military sweetheart. The reception was held upstairs in a jazz bar. It was the nicest spread of red velvet couches, an attentive bartender and food (the center piece was, of course, cheese).


The reception dwindled down and we walked throught the Erie and deserted streets of small town USA to the next bar. It was Children of the Corn quiet… the neon glow giving the damp sidewalks that Night of the Living Dead appeal.
We went on drinking and dancing the night away. That's what nights and receptions are for. I have to admit that I havn't been in a meat market in years, and this one packed 'em in. Strangers dancing up-on you. Random groping. I had some nasty guy "all up on me" and told him to "Bounce". Yes I said Bounce. Damn young wippersnapper all up in my grill...and I couldn't help it. It just happened. No matter where you are visiting from Eau Clair WI will make you feel like a big fish in a small pond. Still that I had told someone to bounce was a bit much for me to take seriously. The rest of the night I was careful to phrase my request differently all night: "beat it", "pound sand", "back the fuck off!".
All in all it was a good time. Then when we left the bar we reenacted one of the oldest high school movie gags and crammed 9 people in a civic, (or something), and went back to the hotel.

Ahh, good times.
Thanks Wisconsin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home