Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"Nothings sucks like an Electrolux"

or how to blind-proof your home.

Blind proofing is much like child proofing in that sharp corners and breakables must be moved. However it is different in that poisons must be put out in the open lest something get broken while the sightless look for them.
The Brandy is now on top of the bar instead of in the bar with all the fragile bar glasses
Living rooms and dining rooms
Surfaces should be cleared off or objects should be moved to the middle. The sturdy gate of a 200-pound man can send things flying off shelves, tables, bars, etc. Hell, that could send entire tables flying*. The rooms should be given an open feeling. Furniture should be moved towards the walls so the stride of a drunk could safely get you from one end of the room to the other. See Brandy
Kitchens
Cupboards should be reorganized. The leaning tower of glasses will not work.
Glasses fall, taking the red wine vinegar from the counter on the way down, glass and sticky floor scrubbed by breaker results in minor cut and homeowner finding bits of glass on counters and crevices for weeks*. Remove ALL pots and pans from stove. That way if he doesn’t get the burner turned off all the way after lighting a cigar the pan will not become scorched, cracked, and set the wood tray on the back of the stove on fire*. Counters should be arranged with snacks on them in plastic containers of varying shapes and sizes. Refrigerator should be cleared out of old food that has been abandoned and has decided to “get on with its life”.
Bathrooms
Remove everything. Just get it over with and take everything out. Bathrooms are a hazard for anyone. Things fall off shower racks and bounce off feet, things fall out of in-shower windowsills and break. Things fall off the back of the toilet when you are trying to flush. There is nothing worse than the random thing in the toilet for a blind man with no hands. Well maybe there is, but I wouldn’t think so.
Cats
Well that’s a problem. A small silent problem. I haven’t quite trained my cats to move. They will walk in your path, flop in the floor right where you are about to put your foot, and steal your seat as soon as you get up. I envision kicked and smooshed cats. Well, I had too many anyway.

So, I’ve done all that I can. And I did most of it out of habit. There is a lot I’m forgetting. Like folding towels and sheets in a specific manner and putting them away in specific places so he recognizes them by shape. Coffee filters and grounds in specific places, and an insulated cup so he can hold the hot coffee, etc.
There’s a lot I’ve forgotten like to give him a tour of the cabinets. And a lot that makes me realize how unfriendly my apartment and technology is. It takes 2 remotes to turn on the TV and the TiVo remote was definitely designed with tiny fingers and the sighted in mind. The phone with the buttons on the phone had to be replaces with the old push button and receiver cradle style (you have no idea how hard those are to find).
Our society has made great leaps and bounds in voice recognition technology for computers and cell phones. But those are about the only assistive technologies that are widespread. There is so much else out there that could be done, if we only had to deal with the inconvenience of someone else’s problems once in a while we might realize technology is not so advanced.
Or we might realize how selfish we have become. I have gotten lazy. I don’t have to consider anyone else anymore, so I don’t. My doorways are ADA regulations but you can’t make that first turn thru the door in most wheelchairs, the bathroom is completely inaccessible and the furniture set up was totally unfriendly. If you’re in a wheelchair or have a walker you can’t visit me. I have breakables, sharp corners and toxins easily accessible. So if you have kids you can’t visit.
I know why would you change the way you live if you don’t have to? One great reason not to have kids. But most those of those with kids have told me the modifications were not that big of a deal. And the changes I made aren’t that big of a deal. It’s no inconvenience to me and it’s considerate of someone else. To be honest my place is a little safer…
Oh Crap! I forgot to tell him where the fire extinguisher is.
Gotta go.

*true story

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Stormieweather said...

I can't even imagine! I've never been around anyone who is blind and with no hands. I've never noticed the small dangers that are everywhere (I'm surprised my kids survived living with me). Can he grasp things with hooks - coffee cups, door knobs ...etc?

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Perdita said...

Danger is indeed everywhere, but I’m a bit paranoid.
And kids are quite resilient, or so I choose to believe.

As for the hooks…he can grasp quite a bit with them. It’s the lack of tactile sensation and angling ability that make them virtually pointless. He only uses them if he’s out walking (good for holding his cane) or signing. Oh, they are also sometimes handy for keys.

Ps. he got lost yesterday trying to get lunch from someplace 3 blocks away.
But that might be because I apparently said west when I meant east. Yeah, I am my own worst enemy.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Johnny Menace said...

why not just take the blindfold off, remove the handcuffs, and take the gag out of their mouth.. that way nothing breaks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home