Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A clue: No

This summer as we sat dragging our legs in a night time pool my friend was trying to verbalize how her dysfunctional family made her feel and she finally just said "You know what it's like. How do you deal with knowing your sibling is the favorite?"
I sat silent for a moment. It was a true enough statement. "It's not the fact that they like her more, its the inequality in treatment that has always bothered me... but then she has always needed more than I have" I shrugged. I'm resigned.
So I can't be too surprised that my sister (the smart one) is going back to school or that my mother (the poor one) is paying for it. She needs more education. She's too smart to be doing manual labor her whole life and she's already wearing her body out. It's a much more just than a plan my mother cavalierly tossed out a year or two ago "thinking about starting a college fund for needy students" I told her she could pay me back for my college first.
Even if our parents could have helped me with college I doubt they would have. They didn't approve of my choices. They wouldn't help me support my "lifestyle" as that would be condoning it. So I was on my own. This is how it feels to be the older sibling: Breaking the parents in to new ideas, wearing them down, acclimating them. Now they're there to help her, even tho' she's living in sin with a guy we all have reservations about.
So again I shrug. I'm past the age of reacting to feeling 2nd string and, again, she needs the help. It's smarter for her to take their help as opposed to taking out a loan (as it always has been). It's better, if my mother wants to help someone, that it go to her than it go to a stranger and I have to take 2nd place to a stranger.

Am I used to it enough that it doesn't bother me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home