Thursday, August 07, 2008

Happy Wedding Birthday

This month year last I was in a flurry.
This week last year I hardly had a drink.
Today last year I was married.

We were reminded how quickly the date was coming up by all the wedding gift shopping. Lazy as we are we couldn’t really justify doing nothing, after all next year we know we’ll probably forget.
First anniversary is paper. Paper: Books, love letters, art, money, tickets. A dinner boat tour on the Lake? Perfect, romantic, something we’ve never done. It didn’t occur to us that 8-8-08 the boats might be sold out for, uh, I dunno, weddings? 8 is the number of new beginnings so there are a lot of weddings. Almost all of my Asian friends say this is the best year (year of the rat, the first sign of the Chinese zodiac, also an auspicious number for Buddhists) and the numerologists see the 8 meaning fortune/ prosperity and 888 meaning three times the prosperity. Mathematicians: Eight is a power of two. A fallen 8 is infinity. On and on. The point is all the wedding parties seemed to have the same idea.
And tickets seemed like such a good idea. Lucky us they extended Cirque Du Soleil. Something else we’ve never done.
So here’s to the first birthday of new beginnings, celebrated with limber contortionists and sensory over load.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Even in its brevity, your blog is so informative. You say in one paragraph what I can't manage in five! First off, not to brag, but, I'm a rat! Second, congrats again! Third, Ah, I wish I had known they extended Cirque du soleil - I want to go! At least know now I know why the tent's still up every a.m. when I ride past it on my bicicleta. Hope you have a fab date at the circus. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home