Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Or the study of man

This test thinks it might be best for me to avoid a career in law enforcement or I.T. recruitment.

Hey, Hamid, I have this problem with my computer. It won’t hook up to the main frame….what, what are you doing with that knife?....Ahhhhggg” *Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle

So I can’t pick ‘em. But who can. I mean really? Okay we all have some sort of instinct. Avoid the guy with the manic eyes. Don’t talk to the lady who is having a loud discussion with the lamp post. But what is that based on? Is it different for different cultures? Maybe that was one of the problems with the stigmata of degeneration and studies of Atavism. The attempt to identify physical characteristics common to criminals and labeled those he found as atavistic, ‘throwback’ traits that determined 'primitive' criminal behavior.

Italian prison physician Cesare Lombroso published Criminal Man (1876), a famous study that attributed criminal behavior to what he termed "atavism," an inherited condition that made offenders evolutionary throwbacks to more primitive humans (depicted in his popular 1879 movie “You’ve got Tail!”).
By conducting autopsies on 66 deceased criminals, and comparing 832 living prison inmates with 390 soldiers, (is he implying that soldiers are criminal…or insane?) Lombroso created a list of physical features that he believed were associated with criminal behavior. These "stigmata" included “…sloping foreheads, asymmetrical faces, large jaws, receding chins, abundant wrinkles, extra fingers, toes, and nipples, long arms, short legs, and excessive body hair.”
Common dude. Extra nipples? I mean I can see why additional appendages would make someone cranky (Yo 12 digit come here and count this dozen for me I think I’m getting ripped off) but a nipple? What were a lot of guys freaked out when they were checking him out in the steam room?
As for asymmetrical faces…better lock me up. I swear one eye is angled differently and slightly larger than the other. In fact no ones face is exactly asymmetrical. Well, okay almost no one.
I would think it was needless to say these theories were eventually debunked.
But Noooooo. They have come out with Digital Physiognomy Software.
They talk about this as some sort of fortune-telling but then go onto say "... most efforts to specify such relationships have been discredited. "
“The program does not forecast the future, but discovers how others really see you. It also allows you recognize and read personality traits of others, to identify your strongest character traits and to identify the character flaws of your opponent.”
Which one of those guys from the quiz developed this?

All I know is I’m going to start looking at peoples pictures when they post more closely, and in lieu of that those avatars are gonna get scrutinized. I wonder if there is a junk science for analyzing avatars.

Edited to add:
biologist Randy Thornhill and psychologist Steven W. Gangestad, both of the University of New Mexico, “In both sexes, relatively low asymmetry seems to be associated with increased genetic, physical, and mental health, including cognitive skill and IQ.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger furyouhin said...

I used to go to a dentist who had a pet theory that people with less than a full set of wisdom teeth (pre-extraction, i mean) were more highly evolved than those who developed the full set of 32. I guess he was basing this notion on fossilized ancestors that showed successive iterations leading to H. sapiens with the narrowest jaws and fewest sets of adult teeth.

I didn't argue, he had his fingers in my mouth.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Perdita said...

Yippie for me then (if that's true).
I must be some sort of advancement.

My sister and my mother don't have tail bones...I've wonder if they were the next step of evolution.
Ya know, you gotta test market these things first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home