Friday, June 29, 2007

Can’t get there from here. Again?

I have learned that if I leave work early I should take the El. It is slower (especially with all the construction) but I can count on it being there and not waiting for half an hour before it shows up. I needed to get home to tidy up before the game-nighters arrived. The place was fine for a blind man, but he didn’t trip over dust bunnies.
I had been wanting to go to the old hood for a little shopping and since it was on the way, I’d just duck off there and not add more than 20 minutes before I was home. All went well till I tried to get back on the EL. With the construction I was confused about how to get in. I walked below as trains approached overhead and then walked back the other way. I had passed it. I ran in as above the undistinguishable voice said something about departure. I hurried up the stairs as fast as the indifferent morons ahead of me would let me go. They announce the door closings and I slip between pokey and slow at the top of the stairs and leap into the car just as the doors close.
Wheee. Made it. I look about triumphantly. Just a short ride now. I almost never take the train I can’t remember, is it 2 or 3 stops away? Leaning on a post I look up, the rout maps are missing from above the doors. I look out the window enjoying quick productive shopping trip, my excellent escape, the view from above and see the color code and name of this train is not right. Well not for me. Not today. We blow past the first stop, pause as train takes the right of way. That’s fine I’ll just get off and walk back from the next stop. We pass mine and 2 more. Okay I’ll take a cab. Good thing I got cash before I went on this adventure. We rattle on without a stop approaching. I text “Maybe home late” Receive “On way home now”. I look around and I have no idea when I’ll be home. I type “Maybe you can pick me up” but don’t send it because I have no idea where I’ll be or even when. I don’t know that this train won’t have a stop for another 7 miles. By the time it does stop I can still afford the cab, but I don’t see anywhere around I could catch one. I send the text and follow it up with a picture of the station sign. And rush off to catch a train, any train at this point, but preferably mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home